1. Ensuring consular relations of Turkmenistan with foreign countries, protecting the rights and legitimate interests of Turkmenistan, its citizens and legal entities abroad is coordinated by the Consular Service Department - a structural subdivision of the central office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan.
2. In accordance with the law of Turkmenistan "On the consular service", the following are currently open and functioning:
1) Consulate General of Turkmenistan in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in Herat;
2) Consulate General of Turkmenistan in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in the city of Mazari -Sharif;
3) Consulate General of Turkmenistan in the Islamic Republic of Iran in Mashhad;
4) Consulate General of Turkmenistan in the Republic of Turkey in Istanbul;
5) Consulate General of Turkmenistan in the Russian Federation in Kazan;
6) Consulate General of Turkmenistan in the United Arab Emirates in Dubai;
7) Consulate of Turkmenistan in the Russian Federation in Astrakhan;
8) Consulate of Turkmenistan in the Federal Republic of Germany in Frankfurt am Main;
9) Consulate of Turkmenistan in the Republic of Kazakhstan in Aktau, as well as the consular office of the Embassy of Turkmenistan in the Republic of Kazakhstan in Almaty.
The consular offices also include the consular departments of the diplomatic missions of Turkmenistan abroad. They are designed to protect the rights and interests of Turkmenistan, legal entities and citizens of Turkmenistan.
3. Within their competence, consular officials carry out notarial acts, registration of acts of civil status, legalize documents and various acts drawn up by the authorities of the consular district or issued by these authorities. Along with protecting the rights and representing the legitimate interests of citizens of Turkmenistan who are abroad, they inform them about the laws and rules of stay in force in a foreign state, give them the necessary recommendations, and respond appropriately to ensure security in case of emergencies.
4. The legal status of citizens of Turkmenistan abroad is determined primarily by the legislation of the state of their residence. The provisions of consular conventions and treaties on legal assistance in civil, family and criminal matters are of great importance.